About the Team
The web platform team work in collaboration with engineering and operations to maintain and develop Futures core brand websites. Ensuring the sites are fast, at the forefront of technical innovation, are bug free and have great UX.
As a Senior Developer you’ll work closely with the web platform team and engineering teams to ensure the delivery of scalable, well structured, efficient web applications and components; working on both green-field projects built from the ground up using the latest libraries and best practice as well maintaining and improving existing code. You will be responsible for the scoping and planning of: refactoring existing code, new components and working with other teams to build new services and products.
- In collaboration with Tech Leads and Engineers you will ensure your code is well scoped, monitored, documented, and testable.
- You will also be responsible for tracing bugs across the stack and ensuring that suitable tests are set up to avoid future regressions.
- You will work with the rest of the team to review both your code and other developers before it goes through a final QA process and into production.
- You will be able to communicate effectively with the wider business and be able to critically assess product requirements and solutions.
- Your job will cover both client and server-side code working with datastores and server configuration. You will be keen to keep up to date with the latest approaches to development and be able to argue for appropriate technology to be added to the stack.
- You will participate in regular hack days, using cutting edge tech to prototype innovative approaches to business/technical goals.
- As an experienced member of the team you are required to support and help develop more junior members of staff both via code review/direction and mentoring.
What do I need to succeed?
- You are fluent in object-oriented PHP; write beautiful optimised object-oriented code
- You are able to work with relational databases such as MySQL, ideally you also have some exposure to NoSQL databases
- You have Experience of using templating languages (Twig, Handlebars etc)
- You have Experience of using JS frameworks (React, Angular etc)
- You understand the importance of caching for high traffic services.
- You have used version control systems, ideally Git.
- You have experience with the Linux environment and provisioning tools like Puppet or Chef.
- You are able to communicate technical information to non-technical people as needed
- You are looking for a challenging role where you will be excited to learn and be passionate about software delivery
- Able to work on a Mac
Desirable skills and experience
- Functional Programming
- Static site generators
- Own open sourced code on GitHub (and equivalents) either as a contributor or own projects
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- We offer structured career development to all of our people ensuring they have the skills and experience to grow. Our CTO, Kevin Li Ying joined us as a Programmer!
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces as well as plenty of flexibility to work remotely
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference – get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what’s next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives. Together, we connect people to their passions through the high-quality content we create and the innovative technology we pioneer. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join!
Future is the name behind market-leading brands in specialist sectors
We’re dedicated to creating loyal fans of our brands, and the number is growing all the time. Our global reach is phenomenal with over 250 million consumers across 220 + world-leading brands. It’s an incredible privilege to have such a passionate audience base across our websites, magazines, social media and events.
Every kind of talent is celebrated here. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & Diversity
At Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=fs758 →